Get more from us

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Anonymous Alvarez

B.B. King named his guitar Lucille after learning that was the name of a woman who two men were fighting over when they burned down a roadhouse he was playing in Twist, Ark. Willie Nelson calls his guitar Trigger, after Roy Rogers' horse, and Eric Clapton has Stratocasters named Blackie and Brownie. Stevie Ray Vaughan had No. 1 and Lenny but my new guitar will remain anonymous, although I feel just as strongly about it as Willie and Stevie Ray and those other guys do about theirs.

The owner of the Washburn had started feeling a little territorial about it so I took the opportunity to buy my very own guitar. I say "opportunity" but actually it was the excuse I had been looking for.

Mark the guitar coach suggested I go see his friend at Chuck Levin's Music Center, a big we-have-anything-that-makes-sounds kind of place that’s frequented by professionals. I came away with a very nice Alvarez RD8 and accompanying hard case (sturdy on the outside, plush on the inside) for a very good price. It has a nicer tone than the Washburn and Mark, who I ran into at Chuck’s when I went to make the purchase, confirmed it was a good deal on a good guitar.

I'm thinking Anonymous and I will be very happy together.

No comments:

Post a Comment