Get more from us

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Holy Trinity of 48th Street

Next time I'm in New York I'm going to do something I should have done when I lived there -- make a thorough exploration of Guitar Row on West 48th Street.
In the early 1980s I took refuge in a tiny apartment on West 47th near 7th Avenue, just around the corner from Times Square -- the pre-Disney Times Square that was full of three-card monty dealers, transvestite hookers, strip joints and dive bars -- a block away from three legendary guitar stores.

Sam Ash's, Manny's and Rudy's Music Stop are all located within a few doors of each other. Rudy's is the newcomer, having been around for only 34 years, while Manny's was established in 1935. The Sam's is now the flagship store of a national chain that was born in 1924. This is where the Beatles, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, Hendrix and the Rolling Stones shopped. Once I saw Joe Jackson as he was walking around the corner of 48th and 7th Avenue.

"People now come from every corner of the world to 48th Street to see where their favorite musicians spent time buying instruments," Rudy Pensa, who also builds guitars at his namesake store, recently told the New York Daily News. "They want to see their pictures, spend time where Lennon tried his guitars, you know. This is a beautiful street and it should be preserved as it is, a landmark of the city. It has so much history, and it has been like this since the '20s."

Sam's and Manny's, which are now part of the same company, supposedly will let you walk in and test out any guitar in the joint.

I bought my Alvarez at Chuck Levin's, which is considered the top guitar and instrument shop in the Washington area. It's only a short walk from the house but I don't go there very often because, to be honest, I find it a little intimidating. I'm afraid someone is going to spot me for a dilettante, shove a guitar at me and and say, "Play it -- if you can!" Still, I like to sneak in every now and then and just wander around looking at all the pretty guitars. It's like visiting a museum.

There's also a Guitar Center store nearby but I prefer Chuck Levin's for two reasons. First, Guitar Center is a nationwide chain while Chuck's is locally owned. Secondly, the last time I went into the Guitar Center, the know-nothing 20-something slacker who rang up my picks called me "Buddy." Three times.

Guitar stores are full of hope and it's a great feeling to walk out of one with a new guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment