Get more from us

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

In the Key of Qi

Lately something has been blocking the flow of my qi through my body's meridians and it's knocked my yin-yang balance out of whack.
That's acupuncture talk for "I think I've got a pinched nerve in my left shoulder and the ache is driving me crazy." It's a come-and-go pain that runs about halfway down my bicep and can be pretty distracting at times. Even though it doesn't hurt so much when I play, I suspect it's caused from hunching over a guitar neck.

My doctor didn't offer any help other than suggesting heavy-duty aspirin so, despite initial skepticism, I've tried a couple of acupuncture treatments for the first time. A little old Chinese woman stabbed me with about 25 needles, mostly in the back and shoulders but a few down my legs, hooked them up to a mild, pulsing electrical current and let me lie for 40 minutes (this is when an iPod comes in real handy). It seems to have gotten the ol' qi (pronounced chee) flowing a little better but the pain isn't completely gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment