Get more from us

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

How About a Big Hand for the Guitar Player?

I was in an Apple store today to exchange my daughter's iPod and found myself staring at the hands of the guy who was helping me. Not to sound weird or anything but I was thinking,"Man, I hope he plays guitar; otherwise, those hands are going to waste." He had the kind of fingers that are ideal for a guitarist -- long and skinny, able to dance all over a fretboard. Like Robert Johnson's in the picture above.

I shook Stevie Ray Vaughan's hand a couple of times and remember it being pretty big and powerful. I had the feeling he could have crushed my hand, too, if he had wanted to.

Supposedly, hand size/finger length is not a make-or-break issue with the guitar (Angus Young of AC/DC has notoriously small hands but what do you expect for a guy who's only 5-foot-2 and goes on stage in a schoolboy uniform?). It's more about being flexible and nimble.

My own hands and fingers are nothing special. They're probably average in size, although maybe a little on the small side for someone my height. The problem is they don't dance very well.

I bet E.T. could have really played if he had worked at it a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment