Get more from us

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Not Exactly the Carter Family

Lately I've been disappointed more than somewhat in the support my family has been offering an aspiring guitarist. After a couple dozen times of hearing, "Not now, Dad!" when I bat out my opening G chord, I was beginning to feel a little wounded. The cruelest cut came this weekend after we had returned from a short trip to our getaway house in the western part of the state. My wife remarked how fortuitous it would have been if I had taken my guitar out there -- and then forgotten it and left it a two-hour drive away. I'm sure she meant it as a joke.

But all was forgiven on Father's Day, which had a musical theme. The family gave me five framed album covers -- from an era back when recorded music came with artwork that was 156 square inches, instead of 25 -- and my daughter made a collage with guitar picks.

It pleases me to think that of all the middle-aged, middle-class, middle-of-the-road fathers in our little suburban county, that I am almost without a doubt the only one who's been thumping out "Smoke on the Water" and "Wild Thing" as the coda to his Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment