Get more from us

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Scattered Thoughts

After all these weeks of risking arrest for crimes against music, there have been signs of progress. Or at least one sign of progress. While there still is little danger of me putting Eric Clapton out of business, my changes between chords have gotten considerably quicker. Not to take all the art out of it but it's a little like learning to type -- you have to train your fingers where to go and to get there quickly ...
The A major chord is as tricky as the F. I'm not sure how you're supposed fit three adult male fingertips into one little fret space that's only about 1 square inch in size. This is a pretty basic chord and I should have already mastered it ...

There are lots of places on the Internet to find chords but this is the coolest one by far. Not only do you get diagrams and millions of variations, you can hear how each one sounds on an accoustic or electric, fast, slow or medium ...

Once I learn to play the guitar I'm going to learn to speak the language. As it stands now, I have no idea how to translate phrases such as:

* "My only real effect is a Dunlop DCR-ISR crybaby rack wah."
* "The distorted component of the note fades away first while the non-distorted component continues to sustain."
* "I bind the fretboard with cocobolo."

No comments:

Post a Comment